* Investigation of the undercooling and solidification behaviour of metallic melts.
* Examination of the short-range order in undercooled melts by neutron scattering, diffraction of
synchrotron radiation and EXAFS.
* Study of the dependence of the undercoolability of melts on the short-range order in the liquid
and the structure of the solidifying solid phase.
* Modelling of the solid-liquid interfacial energy by numerical methods.
* Studies of the phase-selection and microstructure formation during solidification of
undercooled metallic melts, including in-situ investigations by diffraction techniques with
* Investigations on the solidification behaviour and the phase diagrams of the quasicrystal-forming
alloy systems and on the structure of quasicrystalline and approximant phases.
* Studies of the nucleation behaviour and the short-range order of magnetically ordering
* Co-Investigator of the space experiment "Structure and solidification of largely undercooled melts
of quasicrystal-forming alloys" using the TEMPUS facility on the IML-2 spacelab mission (1994)
* Co-Investigator of the space experiment "Undercooled melts of alloys with polytetrahedral
short-range order" using the TEMPUS facility on the MSL-1 spacelab mission (1997)
* Leadership of the DFG-Project: "Neutronenstreuexperimente an magnetisch ordnenden
unterkühlten Metallschmelzen" within the DFG-Schwerpunkt "Unterkühlte Metallschmelzen